What's new
Los Santos County

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car Enthusiasts Roleplay!

Sterrenstof

Reaction score
Characters
Vienna Everaux
This discussion was bound to be created, and it's necessary as we probably do not want a repeat of what happened on other servers in the past.

We all know GTA V's car scene is massive, there's over 600+ cars in this game, and most people are enthusiastic to roleplay a character within a underground scene involving cars, racing & tuning.
Unfortunately we also all know how that worked out in the past, many servers allow players to just grind for their vehicles, have a simple local mechanic tune shop where you can go to and spend your well earned grind, honestly what's the fun in that? Totally when the player uses their expensive riced out vehicle to go for a spin around Legion Square. God no! No!

Alright, how do we counter this issue? Well.. we need to talk about vehicle pricing, we need to talk about how to get car tuning, obviously tuning that's illegal and shouldn't be obtainable at your local mechanic shop, no no.. we need to discuss what parts are illegal "cough dark tinted windows cough" and how should they be obtainable? A underground market for car parts? But how do we implement this? Should it be player ran, something scriptwise? It's simply not realistic to only see over-tuned vehicles driving around town.

This could improve car enthusiasts roleplay lots, and might as well improve what they call a underground street racing roleplay nowadays 😂

Let's discuss before we create suggestions about this subject;

Fox

Retired Admin
Modding Team
Los Santos Police Department
Property Management Team
Solutions
Reaction score
allow players to just grind for their vehicles, have a simple local mechanic tune shop where you can go to and spend your well earned grind
We are doing our best to exactly make that not possible, or at least not feasible.

Vehicle prices are a currently worked on topic within my team and we are trying to find a solution that provides a somewhat balanced approach. From the get go I can however say super cars will be a thing of exclusivity (not related to donations or any other pay 2 win scheme).

For tuning and how this will be handled, we will look into that once the vehicle price list has been finalized to a point where the majority of the staff team agree. I like your idea however, that certain parts should not be available in your local shop to just be bought, but have a foregoing process. I am sure @ezkNYNE will have some good input on this topic in general.

I can also say, without name dropping, certain vehicle's classic versions will not be available for the sake realism and if one player should have one of them he surely had put down quite a sum to get it and has undergone scrutinization of the staff team.

xcaliber

Reaction score
For tuning, we should have legal factions being able to get components that are requested by people, for example you have a sultan and you want a front bumper, you fill in an application and state what you request with a price, the legal faction can import it for x price and deliver it to the person.

The person gets the item and must roleplay taking the bumper off, putting the other bumper on and so forth in detail.
This would bring some good roleplay to the racing scene, where you can eventually get a garage up and do those things for $$$, think about installing turbo's, exhaust etc..

Sterrenstof

Reaction score
Characters
Vienna Everaux
You've quoted my post at the greatest spot 😂

That's awesome, I do hope we could get the list of available vehicles when the internal discussion about it has been finalized, as some players would like to know what cars will become available on launch day and will have their own opinions about it too.

Coming back to the tuning part, it seriously needs discussion. My opinion which I haven't properly stated yet in the topic about tuning in GTA V is;
It's horrific when every car you see on the roads is a fully tuned one, there's no city that realistically exists having so many tuned cars, we need a market for it to suit the server, and not fall in line with the other servers that have implemented it in a way that makes it easy obtainable by just driving into a tune store and typ /v tune.

Sure, we could go to a local Action buy some foil and smack that on our windows like @xcaliber would say, but many would like to see it differently. Illegal modifications would also create roleplay for the underground scene, cop roleplay & crime roleplay.

Anyway, glad to hear car discussions are happening internal and hopefully this topic can have some impact on it as the community can express themselves in here, as it's gonna be a rather big part of the server.

love u xcaliber for the foil idea i'd totally rp that :love:

For tuning, we should have legal factions being able to get components that are requested by people, for example you have a sultan and you want a front bumper, you fill in an application and state what you request with a price, the legal faction can import it for x price and deliver it to the person.

The person gets the item and must roleplay taking the bumper off, putting the other bumper on and so forth in detail.
This would bring some good roleplay to the racing scene, where you can eventually get a garage up and do those things for $$$, think about installing turbo's, exhaust etc..

Player ran garages aren't a bad idea, solely forcing it to be just a factions thing could be bad, a market should be done through the script, the availability of items should be done through the script, filling in applications for a few tune items could work, but in my eyes is ridiculous though.

Racing factions roleplaying their own tuning!? Yes please! Also for the illegal parts they could buy it, and install it on cars through proper roleplay. It could lead towards some well made mechanic screenshots in street race faction topics!

Importing those items could be done somewhat alike to firearms, terrible example I know, and then sold through dealers, from faction to faction.
Legal car parts are a different story, they can be sold at a shop that's player ran, but there shouldn't be 100 garages, and it totally shouldn't be a mainstream thing to tune your vehicle.

Last edited:

Snow Wolf

Reaction score
Characters
none
I think there could be two sides to tuning: Purchasing the parts and actually installing them. For example, you could go to a normal pay 'n spray and only get a level 1 motor upgrade but not the rest especially no tinted windows because the law states that vehicles should not have these. On the other hand, purchasing (and possessing) these parts would not be illegal - but having them in your car.

So, as an actual example: I could go to amazon right now and order black window foil. I'm absolutely free to install it on all windows if I desired - I'd just have to bear the consequences.

If you'd think a bit further ahead, you could order a new oil filter, camshaft and whatever. Combined, these parts would give you a level 2 motor upgrade and you'd have to find someone to install them.

Sterrenstof

Reaction score
Characters
Vienna Everaux
Agreed, it should be roleplayed before it's installed! And to be honest, I don't mind if a player wants to do the mechanical roleplay themselves if their character is able to do it, they're able to do it!

Same with the foil, yes that's easy obtainable but it's againsts the law to use and you'll face the consequences of using those, but you shouldn't just go to a mechanic store and buy them cause they're available.

Just in general, tuning should be minimized, we know how it turned out on some other servers.. and it isn't very.. normal in terms of realism.
And that's probably cause it's so easily obtainable.

Last edited:

Snow Wolf

Reaction score
Characters
none
Agreed, it should be roleplayed before it's installed! And to be honest, I don't mind if a player wants to do the mechanical roleplay themselves if their character is able to do it, they're able to do it!
yup. character development is character development. if your char read a guide or something, sure why not. Also, this opens up possibilities to have companies selling vehicle parts - this way they're attainable via roleplay only and you don't only run to 3 NPCs and then visit some pay n spray to illegally install them. We should totally scriptually limit tuning possibilities in a pay n spray simply to encourage further rp engagement.

Same with the foil, yes that's easy obtainable but it's againsts the law to use and you'll face the consequences of using those, but you shouldn't just go to a mechanic store and buy them cause they're available.
yeah but they should be free to do so if they want imo. I think it'd be the duty of LSPD to fine them

Sterrenstof

Reaction score
Characters
Vienna Everaux
yeah but they should be free to do so if they want imo. I think it'd be the duty of LSPD to fine them

Yep, never said they can't buy foil! Aslong it's RP'd accordingly :D

xcaliber

Reaction score
I think there could be two sides to tuning: Purchasing the parts and actually installing them. For example, you could go to a normal pay 'n spray and only get a level 1 motor upgrade but not the rest especially no tinted windows because the law states that vehicles should not have these. On the other hand, purchasing (and possessing) these parts would not be illegal - but having them in your car.

So, as an actual example: I could go to amazon right now and order black window foil. I'm absolutely free to install it on all windows if I desired - I'd just have to bear the consequences.

If you'd think a bit further ahead, you could order a new oil filter, camshaft and whatever. Combined, these parts would give you a level 2 motor upgrade and you'd have to find someone to install them.
Brings it back to my post, people should roleplay everything in detail and then an administrator can upgrade the engine etc.. after the staff member checked the logs and validated it.

ezkNYNE

Reaction score
We all know GTA V's car scene is massive, there's over 600+ cars in this game, and most people are enthusiastic to roleplay a character within a underground scene involving cars, racing & tuning.
This is true. Rockstar Games made vehicles a very important thing compared to the rest of the games. The vehicles are very unique, iconic or just very diverse. The tuning part is very incredible as there are teams that take reference from real life bits, from sponsors to even street racing groups. They also have provided content for many racing categories, from your typical drag racing to time attack. It's an amazing gift from Rockstar, and they have one hell of an amazing vehicle roster.

Unfortunately we also all know how that worked out in the past, many servers allow players to just grind for their vehicles, have a simple local mechanic tune shop where you can go to and spend your well earned grind, honestly what's the fun in that? Totally when the player uses their expensive riced out vehicle to go for a spin around Legion Square. God no! No!
You're right. There's no fun in that. It may feel rewarding to get such a vehicle, but it's not really worth it. GTAV will definitely receive a strict tuning accessibility. I honestly feel like it should be that way, where it is limited and/or difficult to obtain. Nobody really wishes to spot a 50th vehicle modified in less than three hours, with neon, tinted windows, pink color and black wheels.

Alright, how do we counter this issue? Well.. we need to talk about vehicle pricing, we need to talk about how to get car tuning, obviously tuning that's illegal and shouldn't be obtainable at your local mechanic shop, no no.. we need to discuss what parts are illegal "cough dark tinted windows cough" and how should they be obtainable? A underground market for car parts? But how do we implement this? Should it be player ran, something scriptwise? It's simply not realistic to only see over-tuned vehicles driving around town.
First things first, some parts must be shipped internationally. Obviously, this all depends of the sort of car it is, but for example, a Warrener or an Elegy Retro would likely get vehicle parts from Japan only. There could be some interaction between legal factions this way, from Ocean Docks to your local trucking or postal service. In this case, this is a topic for local autoshops since they don't fabricate car parts out of thin air. They are not a factory either. They buy X part, replace X part and send the car away.
Dark tinted windows are a frequent thing. Obviously, it is an illegal bit, but local autoshops can decide to agree or not on installing dark tinted windows. The PD is not going to scan your ass and see if you're fucking up, unless you're tinting literally everyone's windows in the server. However, the owner of said dark-tinted car would probably have to pay a fine, or have it towed for that. It's a massive risk for something so tiny.

I'm brainstorming a lot with my ideas, so I'll surely slide some over to the Suggestion section.