What's new
Los Santos County

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunger / Thirst / NPC's

Schleich

Retired Admin
Reaction score
Characters
Kekoa Hale
I agree with this. I think hunger system as a necessary evil, lol. I've never really enjoyed it either - but it did bring up roleplay situations where I'd not go to a briefing and RPed instead getting something to eat. It adds a dimension to try out. I'd probably say that the health bar would be "50 percent" cut off in the hunger system but other than that wouldn't limit anything else such as sprinting.

I for one would never essential RP being hungry else, as its one of the things which you can easily over look when roleplaying.

Supporting this suggestion.

I personally used to role play eating out quite frequently - especially when restaurants or food related businesses were open. It was a rather regular occurrence when I was patrolling in the PD as it allowed some downtime and calm role play vs. the chaos of LEO role play on a large server. The point being here is that I chose to do so because I went to open businesses or had a reason to do so to enjoy some role play vs. being forced to do so by a script that would cripple me (decreasing health) otherwise.

Forcing a hunger system is unlikely to result in increased role play surrounding eating as people just run in, use the command to get food, and run out. On the other side increasing the amount of food-related businesses available for players to operate is much more likely to increase such role play.

El Gato

Reaction score
I feel that if people want to RP hungry they will, and many do. It shouldn't be a forced part of the game that everyone dreads. NPC Traffic? No thank you. It often times clutters the game and makes it difficult to RP in, like if an NPC hits your car and immediately after drives away.

Devasta

Reaction score
Characters
Adrian Domingo
To be quite honest, it really depends on how it's roleplayed and scripted in.

I disagree with an RPG style version of a Hunger / Thirst system mainly because it's not realistic in terms of eating food multiple times a day in order to survive.

The most I would agree on would be side effects upon not eating for a while.
I think dying because you didn't eat for two hours is quite excessive after all this is not an RPG game, it's a realistic roleplay server that follows the main principles of well.. real life.

I also completely disagree with NPC's being incorporated into LSC. As Topaz said earlier, "AltV doesn't have a proper NPC system setup nor is there a sync system established for it.".
On top of that, this would be a big issue when it comes to PD chases and in general, I'm not a fan.

Chief

Reaction score
Characters
John Beck
Here’s a thought. What about a less dynamic hunger/thirst system? Instead of a health bar and having to eat every 2 hours or you die, what about a simple true/false system? Every 4-8 hours of gameplay, you are simply in a “hungry” or “thirsty” state? Could include a notice in red chat every hour after that reminding you that you are in a hungry state maybe? Make the health draw slow, so people don’t feel the need to necessarily stop their role play in mid scene to go eat. In real life, when we “feel” hungry, we don’t immediately start dying lol. This would at least encourage the use of food/drink items, but on a more realistic basis rather than a chore every couple of hours. I understand people’s points about “if they want to RP hungry they will”, but it will be a minority that actually does this. I feel this would be more of a compromise to those who feel they’d have to stop everything they are doing to eat before dying.

Last edited:

Peezy

Reaction score
It's a big no for me, people don't roleplay on gta to play a watered down version of the sims. RP around food is created by players on a regular basis, in my experience.

I don't see how NPC traffic is going to help, if anything it'll just lead to server lag. Also, noobs will just jack every NPC car they see. Don't get me started on GTA V's retarded NPC AI either... lol. Imagine getting ran over by a NPC mid shootout with another player.

Hecsic

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of NPC traffic. It creates a single player vibe and if I wanted to interact with NPC's I would play the story mode.

Let's keep things original and have everyone on the server be actual person behind the character.

AAlroy

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of NPC traffic. It creates a single player vibe and if I wanted to interact with NPC's I would play the story mode.

Let's keep things original and have everyone on the server be actual person behind the character.

Cranky

Game Admin
Game Admin
Modding Team
Faction Management Team
Property Management Team
Reaction score
Great ideas to add to immersion, but me personally I don't agree on the NPC system like stated by others it would cause for a more GTA:O feel and people would take advantage of that when it comes to jacking vehicles fighting NPC's and so on.

Hunger/Thirst on the other hand would kinda be cool, I wouldn't say add it to the server but it seems like a nice feature if it wasn't so drastic meaning you wouldn't have to eat every 3-4hrs kinda like real life, make it so you don't have to always eat or drink and also no death. Cause honestly imagine dying for not eating for an hour on a GTAV RP server.

Overall 40/100% from me.

Apache

Reaction score
I agree with not forcing people to eat. If they suck at rping then that should be on them. Forcing the hunger thing could be annoying and fuck with RP.

NPC traffic I've always been a fan of. I think the argument of "If I wanted to play single player I would" is kind of a weak one. It helps the city feel alive. Isn't there an issue with slot usage doing that though? The servers that do that can only hold like 60 players due to NPCs no?

Fox

Retired Admin
Modding Team
Los Santos Police Department
Property Management Team
Solutions
Reaction score
Isn't there an issue with slot usage doing that though? The servers that do that can only hold like 60 players due to NPCs no?
Yes and no. Yes in the sense of if you want 4000 NPCs roaming around, you can only have 96 players in total. No in the sense, that if you limit NPC usage to anything less than 3500 it is a non-issue. The current theoretical limit of ALT:V regarding player slots is 4096. The more prominent issue seems to be, people who seem to think that NPC behavior cannot be restricted, or influenced by the deployed code.

NPCs on any client, whether it be Rage, FiveM or ALT:V can be controlled through code. You can change the standard behavior of NPCs in regards to how they react to shots, police sirens and such. For example you can simply have them ignore shots being fired to avoid the erratic behavior seen in GTA:O or singleplayer. Similarly, you can have them either pull over to the right/left side of the road when an emergency vehicle is approaching, or have them come to a full stop instead.

Furthermore, some of the arguments against NPCs are whilst true a non-issue. NPC vehicles can be spawned in a locked state, hence they cannot be stolen. The feeling of being in single-player is the most prominent to pop-up everywhere, it begs the question though would you rather roam a city devoid of any life whatsoever (and only by happenstances encounter (an)other player(s)) or one that at least seems to be vibrant and alive?

Performance similarly if done right and specifically with the way ALT:V handles rendering from a client side is once again a non-issue. If you can run SP, you can play on a server handling it. The issue that people seem to fear the most are what you see on various streams using FiveM. The scuff, vehicles spawning in the air, falling down etc. Most of that is due to the fact on how FiveM is coded and what resources are used by the server (since most FiveM servers use the same base resources that hog resources and tune vehicle metas to be exceeding speeds for which the game was made).

Once an NPC is created, it'll follow a route that can be pre-calculated and won't hog that many server resources anymore, additionally getting the hardware to support it shouldn't really be that difficult a dedicated machine solely for the game server can run it very well.

Overall, I am fan of vehicle traffic whilst keeping NPC peds out of the window to at least resemble a somewhat decent city.

Last edited:

Apache

Reaction score
@Fox
Yeah I could see the issue with stuff falling from the sky and all that. But I've seen it happen with no NPCs anyway and normal player cars. I don't think locking npc vehicles should be a thing if it's added though. If you want to steal a car, steal a car. But I think for example it would make police chases more exciting. You could ditch your car and go on foot around people and be harder to detect. Would also give the police chase an advantage of losing the cops in traffic or a player crashing into a car and the chase being made in the cops favor.

You say it's client side though. So that means 2 people see two diff things? Idk if I'm a fan of that. All of a sudden when you're a passenger in a vehicle you're smashing into 300 things cause the driver doesnt see them.

Fox

Retired Admin
Modding Team
Los Santos Police Department
Property Management Team
Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah I could see the issue with stuff falling from the sky and all that. But I've seen it happen with no NPCs anyway and normal player cars.
That issue is caused by multiple factors as I explained above. One being FiveM's source code and base code used by various servers (e.g. their resources ESX for one). The other is, FiveM servers tend to have vehicles edited in such ways that they easily exceed top speeds of over 200mph. For which the game is not made, hence render issues etc. happen on your client, also part of the vehicles falling out of the sky part.

I don't think locking npc vehicles should be a thing if it's added though. If you want to steal a car, steal a car.
I agree, but I merely stated that it is possible if necessary.

But I think for example it would make police chases more exciting. You could ditch your car and go on foot around people and be harder to detect. Would also give the police chase an advantage of losing the cops in traffic or a player crashing into a car and the chase being made in the cops favor.
Yes & yes. Cops can make actual roadblocks happen by closing down a road, crims can actually hide in traffic when driving an inconspicuous car (hey maybe actual getaway vehicles will not be fully tuned super cars?). It actually makes sense for PD to follow pursuit protocol to not endanger themselves etc, it also makes it more difficult to keep up with a pursuit, or be in a pursuit in general.

You say it's client side though. So that means 2 people see two diff things? Idk if I'm a fan of that. All of a sudden when you're a passenger in a vehicle you're smashing into 300 things cause the driver doesnt see them.
No, I am not saying only your client would see it. ALT:V basically employs the same mechanism as base GTA. Anything that is not within, 2 and a half blocks at Legion Square, so I'd assume somewhere around 250m or so, is not being rendered. Hence the performance impact NPCs would have on your computer would be marginal.

Apache

Reaction score
I got a shit tier PC and it runs Single Player fine. I'd love for NPCs to be involved.

Casper

Reaction score
Characters
George Castiglione
If we're forced to RP eating and drinking on the regular, then I suggest we also get a piss and poop system, otherwise a hard pass for me. If you wanna go realistic, then don't go and do a half-measure.

Also disagreeing personally with NPC traffic, or even NPCs in general.

PS also don't add real car models, they suck. Lore-friendly all the way innit.

Almighty

Reaction score
Characters
Tyrell Martimer
Not really in agreeance with the NPC's as I feel like it could add to much clutter and confusion to the server. As for the Thirst and Hunger, I'm also kind of on the fence about it, as I feel like it could become more of an annoyance/chore for players as time grows on it'll start with some RP then lead to minor RP and sooner or later nobody will RP eating prior to becoming hungry. for that reason, I can't really drop a +1 on this. :(